SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#362120 - 02/24/13 02:47 PM OT: Talk about "LIVE" backing ...
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Didn't want to HI-JACK UD's thread, but talking about "LIVE" backing, my wife and I went to a JAZZ concert in our town last night featuring local sax player Greg Abate - who has been nominated for Grammys four times - and Phil Woods - world re-known alto sax player (also played the solo on Billy Joel''s "Just The Way You Are") ...
Wasn't the same piano player and bass player as in this vid, but MAN what TALENT !!!

#362124 - 02/24/13 03:09 PM Re: OT: Talk about "LIVE" backing ... [Re: tony mads usa]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
niceeeeeeeee.

#362127 - 02/24/13 04:40 PM Re: OT: Talk about "LIVE" backing ... [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

I never liked this type of Jazz that much but I enjoyed this performance,....Thanx for sharing.

#362144 - 02/25/13 04:31 AM Re: OT: Talk about "LIVE" backing ... [Re: tony mads usa]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Tony good stuff to say the least. Odeum is a nice venue to catch his show and you could have almost rolled down the hill from where you live to get there. I haven't followed Greg Abate lately but he's come a long way since I first heard in 20 plus years ago in Providence. Looks like that May 17th show at the Park Performing Arts Center with Greg then followed by Steve Tyrell should be some kinda show.

#362158 - 02/25/13 10:29 AM Re: OT: Talk about "LIVE" backing ... [Re: tony mads usa]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Fabulous, and a little sad. Both players probably don't earn the interest Buffet would earn on what he makes.

Playing things like this is where I'm the most comfortable (and the most destitute, salary-wise).

Thanks, Tony. No surprise at all that you posted it.

Russ

#362162 - 02/25/13 11:37 AM Re: OT: Talk about "LIVE" backing ... [Re: captain Russ]
tony mads usa Offline

You are probably right, Russ ...

Greg Abate teaches in some of the RI and MA colleges and tours a fair amount ... in fact in July and August he will be touring in England ...

... although Phil Woods has no doubt done well for himself, not "Buffett like" ... not Jimmy, and CERTAINLY not Warren ... grin

but then, it has ALWAYS been that way, hasn't it? ... frown

#362165 - 02/25/13 11:55 AM Re: OT: Talk about "LIVE" backing ... [Re: tony mads usa]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Sadly, Tony....YES!

R.

Oh well, we make the beds we lay in.

#362205 - 02/26/13 05:34 AM Re: OT: Talk about "LIVE" backing ... [Re: tony mads usa]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Its kind of a shame that even thought these are great musicians (notice I didn't say "preformers") this kind of music just doesn't generate a big cash flow. The audiences that come out , even though mostly well heeled and educated in music actually come to listen and not dance, drink heavily and party.
I've seen it in many places. Once here in Cape May NJ at the Jazz Festival. Went early to get a good seat at the bar to hear Joey DeFrancesco. Place got packed quick. After he started we noticed the bartenders standing with their arms crossed and the crowd standing still staring at the stage, some and not all holding a drink. In later festivals they put a two drink minimum in but its hard to enforce . They feel that after they paid for a ticket they should be able to go into the venues for free.
Catch 22 and the death of another festival.

#362206 - 02/26/13 05:57 AM Re: OT: Talk about "LIVE" backing ... [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

Drinking and driving has put a big STALL on the bar/party business everywhere period. No one wants to get arrested or hurt someone driving after a show or night out.

#362228 - 02/26/13 11:03 AM Re: OT: Talk about "LIVE" backing ... [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Donny, I agree in most cases, especially in the 'older' crowds of 40+, at least I see that with our kids friends - early to upper 40's ... but I don't know if that applies to the YOUNGER 'rock bar' or 'dance club' set ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online